Growing up, playing a sport never really appealed to me. (Unless you can count the soccer league I was in when I was in Kindergarten or the time I played basketball in middle school for approximately one week before I decided that it wasn't for me.) I wasn't ever big on watching them either (In college, I went to maybe 3 football games, and one basketball game - only staying to watch my roommate sing the national anthem). Nor was my family big on sports. The only time I can remember having a sporting event on TV was on Thanksgiving - but admittedly, I went and took a nap while the sports fans watched the bowl game.
Given my background, it is pretty surprising that I would fall in love and marry someone whose life has revolved around sports. Randy was Mr. Sports all throughout school. He was the star pitcher, the starting quarterback, and the basketball star. And although he no longer plays competitively, his love for sports has carried over into his adult life. The man loves his sports. College football, professional football, and hockey are his biggest interests. So it's not surprising that ESPN and Sports Center are perpetually on our tv.
I will fully admit, I enjoy hockey. Especially when we go see a game live. I've only seen the Penguins 2 or 3 times, and I am able to enjoy the games because I understand the rules for the most part. But the moment a football game comes on the tv, I am lost. What's the difference between a tight end and a wide receiver? Does the kicker do anything else but kick a field goal? What's the difference between a true freshman and a freshman? These are questions I really want to know the answer to, but I know these simple questions can be quite annoying for a man who knows the game inside and out.
So I try my best to keep to myself, and suddenly I find myself thinking more about how awesome Troy Palimalu's hair is, wondering what flavor of Gatorade the guys are drinking, or pondering why the person who designed the uniforms decided to put orange and green together.
Now that football season has officially started, and it's a pretty fair bet that football will be on the TV 5 days a week...I will smile and nod, knowing that my husband is in his element. But I realize now that I took for granted the summer months where I could watch HGTV at 7:00 p.m. on a Monday night and get away with it.
No comments:
Post a Comment