Sunday, March 20, 2011

Pigs in a blanket

I remember the first time Randy ever told me about his family's holiday celebrations. We were dating long-distance at that time and it was during one of our marathon phone calls.  I told him all about my family's Christmas ham, turdunkins, and my aunt's famous orange salad. And when it was his turn, he mentioned turkey gravy and waffles and pigs in a blanket. I am sure I had a very perplexed look on my face - because to me, a pig in a blanket is sausage wrapped in a croissant or pancake. But to him and his family, this is what they call "stuffed cabbage rolls."  When his mom makes these it's an all-day affair - and it's worth it - they are seriously SO good.  Since we're only able to have these 1 or 2 times a year when we make the trek up to PA, I've tried to recreate them. My first 2 attempts were unsuccessful - but I found a recipe in my mom's 1970s Better Homes & Garden cookbook that hits the spot!  I made these last night and they are definite winners!


Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
1 beaten egg
1/2 c. milk
1/4 c. finely chopped onion
1 tsp. Worchestershire sauce
3/4 tsp. salt
dash of pepper
1/2 pound ground pork & 1/2 pound ground beef
3/4 c. cooked rice
12 medium cabbage leaves
1 can condensed tomato soup
1 Tbsp. dark brown sugar
1 Tbsp. lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, combine first 6 ingredients, mix well. Add pork/beef and rice, mix well.
Remove center vein of cabbage leaves, keeping each leaf in one piece. Imerse leaves in boiling water about 3 minutes (until limp) drain. Place 1/4 c. meat mixture on each leaf, fold in sides. starting at unfolded edge, roll up each leaf, making sure any folded sides are included in roll. Arrange seam down in baking dish. Stir together remaining ingredients, pour over cabbage rolls. bake, uncovered for 1 hour, 15 minutes, basting once or twice with sauce.

I served these with mashed potatoes. We LOVE the sauce, so next time I may double the sauce if I'm feeling crazy.  Try these - - they're sooo good!

1 comment:

Laurie said...

yumm! those do sound good!!