Sunday, January 31, 2010

Grown-up snow day

Snow days just aren't the same when you're an adult. As a kid, I loved snow days - and growing up in Illinois we had 4 or 5 days built into our school schedule - it was just assumed that we'd have a day off or two due to snow. Well now I live in North Carolina, where snow just doesn't happen too often. And when it does, everything shuts down. The weatherman was calling for a huge snow a few weeks ago - and we didn't even get a flurry. So that's why I was a bit sceptical when the weather report was calling for snow this weekend.

Just to be safe, I decided to go to the grocery store Friday night after work. Just as I was leaving, the snow started falling. Then I got to the store and realized that it was a mistake. It was as though everyone in the whole city was in this particular grocery store. And there was not a lot to choose from on the shelves. No chicken, no ground beef, no pork chops - not even any roaster chickens! Then there was a shortage of milk and bread. I wandered around for at least 30 minutes, trying to think of creative things to make with the ingredients I could find. I have to say that I was not thinking out of the box too much, I ended up with Chex Mix, tortilla chips, cheese, salsa, eggs, and bacon. Oh and ingredients for chocolate chip cookies (after all, I had to break in my new mixer this weekend!). So we had "breakfast for dinner" last night and nachos tonight.

To make matters worse, I had to work yesterday. I was out sick on Tuesday with strep throat (ICK!) and I don't have PTO at work yet, so my boss was going to let me make up some time on Saturday. Well, the snow turned to sleet, which then turned to ice - and the roads were treacherous. Randy ended up driving me in to work and I was only there for about 2 hours or so before we decided to leave. It snowed / sleeted up until yesterday afternoon. So we spent the day playing cards, watching movies, and generally being bums. I also made the chocolate chip cookies and thumbed through my Pioneer Woman cookbook that I ordered off Barnes & Noble AND did a whole mess of cleaning & laundry.

As an adult, snow days are more of a hassle then a fun event, but it was still nice to stay comfie and cozy (and get soem stuff done!) inside when the weather was nasty.

No comments: