Sunday, December 12, 2010

Cookie time!

This year I knew that I'd need to make a boatload of cookies...between the holidays with my family and the in-laws, we all eat our fair share of cookies.  For the past few weeks, I've been thinking about what cookies would make my list.  This year I narrowed down the choices to four (after all, I would like to avoid gaining 10 pounds over the next month):
  • Old Fashioned Sugar Cookies
  • Peppermint Bark Bars
  • Chocolate Chip Cookies
  • Toffee Bars
I chose 2 sentimental recipes, 1 classic, and one newby!  We've had the Old Fashioned Sugar Cookies ever since I could remember. A good family friend used to make these every year and bring our family a few dozen. The cookies are crispy and light, and the almond-flavored frosting is delicious. I generally avoid using Crisco - - but I know that's why the cookies are so great! The toffee bars are my grandmother's recipe. (I've shared the recipe previously) My mom, aunts, and grandmother used to get together a few weeks before Christmas and bake all sorts of cookies, bars, and fudge - and this is one of her recipes.

As for the other recipes - I could spend 3 hours making a very elaborate dessert or fancy cookies - and my husband would rather have homemade chocolate chip cookies.  So I made those for him. :)  My last cookie selection was featured on the Pioneer Woman Cooks - and these are a new holiday tradition. Peppermint bark bars - heavenly!

Friday night, Randy went out to have a boy's night - and I stayed home to make cookies! I finished icing the last cookie at about 3:30 a.m. But it was worth it to have it all done.  So now our freezer is stocked...let's see if we make it 'til Christmas.

No comments: