Thursday, August 13, 2009

Foodie blog goodness

Try as I may, I am just not a good "Foodie Photographer." Yesterday I found some GREAT foodie blogs (hence the growing list of blogs that I follow!) and I realize that my skills are not up to par. Any time I try to take a picture of my creations to share, the picture doesn't come out great. I'm thinking that it's either A) I don't have a great camera or B) I am just not gifted in this area. I will continue to try and take pictures - but it is for this reason that there are no pictures to accompany my blog today.

Last night I wanted to try something "new" with chicken and found this great recipe on Cake Batter and Bowl for avocado/chicken cakes. I LOVE crab cakes - but making them myself is pricey! I also thought that this was a very creative way to eat leftover chicken. I have an aversion to mayo, so the fact that this recipe has no mayo really appealed to me. So I made them - and they were delish. HOWEVER ... I made this recipe knowing full well that avocados never, ever agree with my stomach. I used less than half an avocado that the recipe calls for - but I was still in pain last night. But they were so good that it was worth it! I guess I'll have to cave and put a bit of mayo in it next time I make them - and leave out the avocado. =*(

AVOCADO CHICKEN CAKES

1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup chopped red onions
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups cooked shredded chicken
1/2 avocado, mashed (mine was a little less than 1/2 cup)
1 cup panko
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
5 tablespoons of your favorite salsa

Directions:

Heat 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat and sauté onions for 5-7 minutes, or until soft. Add garlic and sauté one additional minute.

In medium bowl, mix together the shredded chicken, onion mixture, avocado, 1/3 cup panko, cumin, paprika, oregano, salt, and egg. Shape mixture into 5 cakes that are 1/2-inch thick; lightly coat all sides of each cake in the remaining 2/3 cup panko.

Heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat in a nonstick skillet. Add 2 chicken cakes and cook until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and 3 chicken cakes. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of salsa over each chicken cake. Makes 2 servings.

A few notes: 1) I was out of salsa and didn't feel like venturing to the store to get some, so I served these plain. I would recommend the salsa just to give them "something extra." 2) I served these with sauteed veggie rice - but I'm thinking that next time I will do a green veggie - these would also be great over a salad. 3) I like that there are so many possible variations for this recipe - these have a bit of a Latin flair, but you could easily use other spices to change it up.

2 comments:

allison said...

Wow---you have just sent me into Foodie Blog heaven this morning. How's a girl supposed to keep up with ALL that is out there!? ;) Thanks for sharing.

Lindsay said...

these sound so good!!