Thursday, August 6, 2009

Professor Bethy

I am so excited about my newest endeavor - I got an adjunct Spanish instructor position at a college here in NC. Because I am working full time at the language consulting company where I have been employed for almost 2 years - I am only taking on one class this semester. The course is two nights a week and does involve a bit of a drive to get there, nevertheless I am SO excited! I love teaching and I especially enjoy working with college students.

Growing up I always had a mental aversion to teaching. In fact, I made it very clear on my application for grad school that I was interested in translating - not teaching. And, as luck would have it, my graduate assistantship required me to teach 2 courses! I look back at how freaked out I was the first day of Spanish 1401 - I was so worried that I would be horrible at teaching. But a funny thing happened - I discovered that I enjoy teaching and that my students responded well to my style.

Classes start in less than 2 weeks, so I have a lot of preparation ahead of me. Although I will surely be very busy until the semester ends in December, I am really looking forward to stepping foot back into a classroom!

1 comment:

allison said...

Yay!!! Congrats! Which college?