Saturday, May 30, 2009

The search is over.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen - the search is over. My quest to make the most scrumptious, decadent dessert has come to an end. I did it. Running the risk of sounding boastful ... I am amazing.


Yesterday morning I got up and went to the farmer's market - armed with $20 and the mission to buy some fresh berries. I came home with some fresh flowers, chulla bread from the most amazing Swiss baker, candied pecans, and a pint each of strawberries and blueberries. I came home and it hit me - these berries would be PERFECT for a tart! So I turned to Dorie (Dorie Greenspan and her cookbook, Baking From My Home To Yours) and found a recipe that I wanted to try. I didn't have a tart pan so I ran to TJ Maxx and lucked out - they had 2 mini tart pans on clearance for $5 each. The baking process did take a while - but assembling the tart was a snap. Knowing full well that Randy & I couldn't eat 2 tarts ourselves, I planned to run one over to Elizabeth's house...but not before trying a piece myself. It is utter perfection. HANDS DOWN the most delicious (yet classy) dessert I have ever made. Elizabeth said "This is the perfect dessert. You know it's rich, but it's not overpowering. The fresh berries are amazing and the creme is perfection." I couldn't agree more.


PASTRY CREAM:
2 c. whole milk
6 large egg yolks
1/2 c. sugar
1/3 c. cornstarch (sifted)
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 1/2 Tbsp. unsalted butter (cut into bits, at room temp)

- Bring milk to boil in a small saucepan.
- Meanwhile, in a suacepan, whisk the yolks together with the sugar & cornstarch until thick & well blended. Still whisking, drizzle about 1/4 c. of the hot milk (this will temper the yolks so they won't curdle.) Whisking all the while, slowly pour in the remainder of the mlik. put the pan over medium heat and, (whisking vigorously & constantly, making sure to get the edges of the pot) bring to boil. Keep at boil, still whisking, for 1-2 minutes, then remove from heat. Whisk in vanilla extract. Let sit for 5 minutes, then whisk in the bits of the butter, stirring until they are fully incorporated and the pastry cream is smooth & silk.
- Scrape the cream into a bowl. Press a piece of plastic wrap against the surface of the cream to create an airtight seal and refrigerate the pastry cream until cold. Stirl the cream occasionally until it is completely chilled, about 20 minutes.

SWEET TART DOUGH:
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. confectioners sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 stick + 1 Tbsp unsalted butter (very cold & cut into small pieces)
1 lg. egg yolk

- Put the flour, confectioners sugar & salt in a food processor & pulse a couple of times to combine. Scatter the pieces of butter over the dry ingredients & pulse until the butter is coarsely cut in - you should have some pieces the size of oatmeal flakes & some the size of peas. Stir the yolk, just to break it up, & add it a little at a time, pulsing after each addition. When the egg is in, process in long pulses, about 10 seconds each, until the dough forms clumps and curds. Turn the dough out onto a work surface & (very lightly & sparingly) knead the dough just to incorporate any dry ingredients that may have escaped mixing.
- Butter a 9" fluted tart pan with a removable bottom. Press dough evenly over the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Don't be too heavy-handed - press the crust in so that the edges of the pieces cling to one another, but not so hard that the crust loses its crumbly texture. Freeze the crust for at least 30 minutes (preferably longer) before baking.
- Center a rack in the oven and preheat to 375. Butter the shiny side of a piece of foil & fit the foil (buttered side down) tightly against the crust. Put the tart pan on a baking sheet & bake for 25 minutes. If the crust has puffed, press it down gently with the back of the spoon. bake for another 8 minutes or so, or until it is firm and golden brown. Transfer the tart pan to a rack and cool the crust to room temperature before filling.


QUICK CLASSIC BERRY TART:
1 1/2 c. pastry cream (chilled)
1 9" tart shell made with the Sweet tart dough
2 pints fresh berries (raspberries, blueberries, blackberries or strawberries)
1/2 c. red currant jelly, mixed with 1 Tbsp. water (glaze)

- Smooth the pastry cream by giving it a couple of strong turns with a whisk. Spoon enough of the pastry cream into the tart crust to come almost to the rim, then even the surface with a rubber spatula. Carefully lay the berries on the cream, arranging them in any pattern that pleases you (**I WENT WITH "RANDOM"**). If you are using straberries, either halve them from top to bottom or slice them.
- Bring the jelly and water to a boil in the microwave or on the stovetop (**I DID NUKED IT FOR 1.5 MINUTES IN THE MICROWAVE**) Working with a pastry brush or pastry feather, dab each berry with a spot of jelly, or you can glaze the entire surface of the tart, including the bit of cream that peeks through the berries.


MY ADVICE: I made the cream first - but I would really recommend you making the crust first. You could start making the cream after you put the tart in the oven. By the time the crust cools you'll be ready to put it all together! If you don't have time to work on this all in one day (or you want to do some of the prep ahead of time) - the cream can be refrigerated (tightly covered) for up to 3 days in the fridge and you can make the dough up to 5 days in the fridge. She also recommends freezing the unbaked tart crust for a few days in advance - just add about 5 min to the cooking time.

No comments: