Friday, November 6, 2009

Best pizza in Raleigh?


Last weekend Randy & I tried a new place that opened a few weeks ago - Sauced. It's a NY Style Pizzeria in downtown Raleigh. We were really wanting to find a good "pizza by the slice" joint and so we gave this place a shot. Let me tell you - the pizza was AMAZING. Plus, since we ate before 6:30 p.m., our meal was 1/2 price. So we had 3 slices of NY pizza and beer for $10. Yes, $10. As a general rule, we like to try out a new place three times before we deem it a good restaurant (in case the good/bad experience was a fluke!) and so we ordered a whole pie for dinner tonight. Let me tell you, this pizza was HUGE. He ordered the 20" pizza - which was 8 NY style (read: HUGE) pieces. I mean, they were so big that they couldn't fit completely on our dinner plates! We still have over half the pie left! (I love leftover pizza ... but that's for another time!)

I really like this pizza because the crust is thin and very crispy on the bottom (my favorite!!). They do have a variety of toppings as well. The only other place in Raleigh that is this good is Lily's Pizza. (Although that is a different genre of pizza, that is gourmet pizza, this is a good beer-and-pizza joint). The only con is that it is not close to home at all - but a good dive is worth the drive!