Thursday, June 11, 2009

Long awaited update on recipes ...

I know that you have been holding your breath in eager anticipation of my recipe reviews from last week. Let me say that, first of all, I was bad this week and didn't look through my binder before going to the grocery store (I went after work on Monday) so this week we've not tried anything new - however, I have been cooking! Monday we had flatbread pizzas, Tuesday was spaghetti, and last night we ate sloppy joes & corn on the cob. I had been CRAVING corn on the cob & seriously it was DELISH!!

Back to last week's recipes, though. I have the same record that I had the previous week - I only got to 2 of the 3 recipes I picked out. But I was very happy with both side dishes that we had.

The garlic fries were TO DIE FOR. Seriously, they were stellar. They were a bit more time consuming to make than frozen fries, but it was totally worth the wait. I must admit, I wasn't paying complete attention when I was making the fries - I read "4 teaspoons of oil" on the recipe as "4 tablespoons" - so I was a bit worried and ended up sopping up some of the excess oil before they went into the oven. The fries were still super delicious and crispy - just not "lite". The Parmesan cheese adds a great dimension of flavor and, as I just said, they were very crispy and perfect. My one suggestion is that I used half the amount of garlic that it called for. I thought 8 cloves would have been a bit much.

The Roasted Asparagus with Balsamic Shallot Butter was a hit as well! I love roasting vegetables (so much tastier than steaming - especially with asparagus, you still get a bit of crunch!) and the sauce was a great pairing. The balsamic vinegar added a tinge of sweetness to the dish. I don't have any recommendations for tweaking this recipe. Asparagus is still in season so you can get great produce for cheaper right now.

So next week I will once again start picking out new recipes to try. Lindsay told me about this Tortellini Salad that she made last week - I will have to try that! Sounds like a great summer recipe.

One more little bit: Can I just say how I love cooking during late Spring/Summer months? YUMMY, fresh produce!

No comments: