
I love little coffee shops -I will settle for Starbucks in a pinch, but I never ever get their drip coffee. There's something about a little, privately owned coffee shop that makes me happy inside. Maybe it's the homey atmosphere, smiling faces that know you by name, or maybe it's the fact that I'm supporting small businesses. Maybe it's just the flavored coffee that makes my heart go pitter patter.
My hometown has THE BEST little coffee shop - The Bean Counter. It's owned by this really sweet local couple that roasts and flavors their own beans. I even worked there before moving to Nashville. They have really spoiled me - the coffee is so fresh and doesn't have that awful burnt taste that Starbucks coffee has. I still drink Bean Counter coffee - my mom has to ship it to me in bulk! (If you're interested, visit their website, they ship!)
When I lived in Waco I found a few good little places - everyone knows about Common Grounds - but there was also a coffee shop, Beatnix, out by MCC that I frequented. I mean to the point where as soon as I walked in they knew me by name and started making my drink (large hazelnut coffee with 2 splendas & skim - thank you!). I also really liked this place because it was off the beaten path and wasn't as crazy busy all the time as CG was. It was a great place to go & study.
Living in Durham I found a few good bakery/cafes but since moving to Raleigh a year ago I had yet to find a cute little place to call my coffeehouse of choice. UNTIL about a month ago. A new place opened about 5 min from work called "It's a Grind" (I love coffeehouse name puns!). They have a drive through so I can even get some on days where I'm running late. Unfortunately they don't roast their own beans - but their vanilla nut coffee is splendid.
So as I sit down to work, I smile to myself and I know that the morning will go down a bit smoother with my yummy flavored coffee in hand.
2 comments:
Did I tell you that Beatnix closed?? Sad!
R.I.P. Beatnix. You were loved.
Post a Comment