Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Bad blogger

Muy mal. That is Spanish for "very bad". That describes my blogging lately. Not that things have been slammed for me lately by any means, but just haven't taken the time to blog. Today I have some random thoughts and/or updates.

- I'm going to be an auntie again! My brother & sister-in-law are taking part in the baby boom that my family is currently experiencing (this year alone there have been 4 new additions to the family on my mom's side!) So the little baby will make the 6th niece or nephew for me! It seems like the baby boom is extending beyond just my family - seems like every week I'm hearing about someone new from my hometown, college, or here in Raleigh that is having a baby. Tis the age, right?

- Next semester I am taking on 2 classes at Campbell. I am excited but it will also be a LOT of work. The two classes are back-to-back, which means I will be teaching from 6 p.m. until 9 p.m. two days a week (plus the commute, 1 hour each way!). But honestly I really enjoy teaching and am excited that they gave me another class! I'm teaching the same level that I currently teach (3rd semester Spanish) and then a more elementary class (2nd semester Spanish). I'm going to be one busy lady!

- Did you know that my lucky number is 10? My momma always used to tell me that I was a perfect 10. (There were lots of 10s in the details about my birth - born on the 10th, 10 days late, 10 pounds, 10 ounces, and I was born at 10 til 10. Crazy huh)? Well anyway Saturday was one year until my luckiest day - 10/10/10. (It was also 1 month until I turn the big 2-7!)

- I have been cooking a lot lately and trying out new recipes. I was really really excited about what we had for dinner last night - - homemade mac & cheese. I know that sounds so simple, but honestly I had not had it in FOREVER. I topped it with homemade bread crumbs and baked it until the top got nice and crispy. I brought some leftovers for lunch today and I am soo excited!! Our other meals this week were/are: roasted chicken w/mashed potatoes, a recipe I got from Lindsay a few years ago - chicken/spinach/orzo bake, and patty melts with grilled onions. We're eating good this week!

- Every year since I can remember, Thanksgiving has been a big deal for my family. It's held at my folks' house and between my mom's and dad's side of the family
there are 40+ people at my house. (Plus my family does something really cool - they also invite people from the community who don't have a family to celebrate the holiday with and they partake in the fun.) It is the one holiday that my siblings and I all come home for - so it's like our family reunion since some of us live on different sides of the country. ANYWAY, things have changed this year and for various reasons the big holiday isn't happening like it has in years past. My own little nuclear family is meeting in Indy at my sister's new house. And Randy and I are going to wait until spring to make our visit out to visit. SO (after that long explanation!) Randy & I are going to have our own Thanksgiving here in Raleigh. I will be trying my hand at making a Thanksgiving feast for 2. I know the basics that I am going to make - but I can't decide what to do for dessert. So that's where you come in: share a special Thanksgiving dessert recipe with me! I'll make sure to blog about my first Thanksgiving meal experience!

I love reading my friends' blogs - it's a great way to keep up on the day-to-day details of their lives. I will try to be better at filling you in on what is going on in my world (and I need to take a note from Lindsay and post more pictures!)

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

I'll have to think about some good Thanksgiving dishes. One thing you could do so that you don't have to do a whole bird for 2 is just do turkey breasts. They are still huge so you could have leftovers. Plus if y'all are like us, you only like the white meat anyway!