Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Simmer down now!

Last night during class, my students were antsy and restless. Partly because it was the first class since their fall break and partly because what we were covering wasn't that exciting. The chapter we're covering right now has 3 different vocab sections and learning new words for "male psychiatrist" or "check book cover" just isn't too fun. PLUS, it's an 80 minute class, so my students were struggling.

During one of our class exercises (where they practice vocabulary words about careers, talking in Spanish about the career choices of their parents, family members and even their own future plans) - they started getting very unruly. In a situation where the non-related chatter gets out of hand, I usually stand in front of the class with a scowl on my face and stand there in silence until they notice that I am trying to move on. It usually works. Not last night. After trying my passive-aggressive way to get them to calm down, I put my hands up and said VERY loudly the first thing that came to mind:

"SIMMER DOWN NOW."

The room went dead silent. Like you could hear a pin drop. Then laughter erupted. When I realized what I said, I did my best to not laugh too. For those of you who don't know, this is a Saturday Night Live reference...



It was even harder to get them to "simmer down" after that gratuitous SNL reference.

2 comments:

Bobbie and Justin said...

That is hilarious!

allison said...

Looooove it! I am laughing so hard. Only you. :)