I am doing lots of cooking and baking lately (trying to be economical!) and wanted something different for lunch. But I wanted something light (we're having lots of carbs today - in the form of chocolate chip pound cake and calzones!) - so I was really excited about this recipe! Randy isn't a fan of cranberries so I left them out, but without the pairing of cranberry/orange, the oranges seemed a bit out of place. Alas, I will be resigned to serving the orange slices on the side in the future - but I think the salad would be superb with the cranberries included. Admittedly I am not a big fan of salad dressings - I find a vast majority of dressings to have too much of an overbearing flavor (what's the point of eating a salad if you can't taste the veggies?) But I loved the pomegranite dressing. It is sweet but also light - and the pepper gave it a bit of an edge.
Spiced Chicken and Greens with Pomegranite Dressing
adapted from Cooking Light
Ingredients:

CHICKEN:
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. salt
4 chicken breasts
DRESSING:
1/3 c. pomegranite juice
3 T. red wine vinegar
2 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. canola oil
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
SALAD:
1 package greens
1/2 c. thinly sliced red onion
3/4 c. orange sections (2 oranges)
[1/3 c. dried cranberries]
1/4 c. crumbled gorgonzola
To prepare chicken: Heat nonstick pan (coated with cooking spray) on Med-High heat. Sprinkle chili powder and salt over chicken. Cook 5 min on each side or until done. Remove from skillet and let sit 3 minutes. Cut into thin slices.
To prepare dressing: Combine ingredietnts in small bowl, stir well with whisk.
To assemble salad: place greens on platter, top with chicken, orange, and onion slices. Sprinkle evenly with cheese and pour dressing over salad.
Look at the yumminess up close!

Next time you're craving a yummy salad - try this. You won't be disappointed!
1 comment:
oh I'm going to make that this week!
Post a Comment